I’m blushing as I write this. Blushing and smiling.
I’m blushing because I’m one of those people who doesn’t take compliments well. I tend to brush them off and downplay them with some witty, self-effacing remark.
I’m smiling because I’ve been nominated for the Liebster award – twice! The saying is so over-used at the Academy Awards :), but it really is an honor to be nominated. I started to blog in an attempt to make some connections, and find some validation of my experiences. I’ve gotten both in spades and am so thankful that I ventured out into the blogosphere.
First, a big thank you to Journalling Through Depression for her nomination. In her blog she shares her experiences with anxiety and depression in a genuine, heartfelt way. I love her dedication to yoga and meditation – I may one day break out a yoga mat of my own!
Secondly, I’d like to thank Dearest Depression for her nomination. I really like the tagline for her blog – Thriving and Surviving. Isn’t that what we all want, on some level? Nicole blogs from Moldova (I didn’t know where it was either!) and gives a honest view of her life dealing with depression.
Please check out both of their blogs – they have so much to share.
The award comes with some rules:
1. Link back to the blogger who nominated you.
2. Answer the 11 questions they gave you.
3. Nominate 11 other blogs with less than 200 followers. (I’m going to do this as #2 so you can get to the blog links faster. 🙂 )
4. Let those blogs know that you nominated them by leaving a comment on their blog.
5. Give your nominees 11 questions to answer.
I’m very new to blogging so I don’t have 11 blogs to nominate. Hopefully the Liebster Police won’t hunt me down for listing only 2.
A is for Anxiety – She writes about anxiety and parenting, and is very honest about both. I really appreciate her sense of humor and her supportive comments.
Change your mind – She writes about her life with depression but much more too. Her posts always give me a lot to think about – whether it’s depression or something else. She seems to have such a gentle, calming way about her.
Here are my questions for you, ladies:
1. What made you decide to start blogging?
2. What’s one thing you wish you had known 10 years ago?
3. What’s one thing you hope you remember 10 years from now?
4. What did you have for breakfast today? (Just trying to lighten things up.)
5. What’s your go-to music on a beautiful spring day?
6. What’s your favorite meal at a restaurant?
7. When was the last time you had a really hearty belly laugh?
8. Would you rather prune a plant outside in the garden, or give your a house a thorough cleaning?
9. What is the biggest message you’ve taken away from your fellow bloggers?
10. If you could live in another country, where would it be?
11. If you won an Academy Award, who would you thank in your acceptance speech?
Now back to my award. Here are my answers to the questions from Journalling with Depression :
1. What made you decide to start blogging?
As I mentioned above, I was looking for validation of my struggles. I’m also a hard-core isolationist, and in spite of myself, I think I was looking for a sense of community – my peeps. I’m well on my way on both counts and am truly grateful for that.
2. What is the most interesting place you have visited?
Russia. I visited as a college student and it was amazing.
3. Are you an animal lover?
I am a dog person – not all dogs, but some dogs :). In fact we are getting a puppy soon.
4. What is your favourite thing to cook?
This is a tough one since I really enjoy cooking. I’ve gone through periods when I’ve tried to bake away my anxieties (with some success!). There is a beef daube provencale recipe I love in the winter. Right now I have a tequila and pineapple glazed chicken which is pretty darn good.
5. What is your favourite band/song at the moment?
I really like Sara Bareilles. Her latest song “Brave” has such great lyrics.
6) What is your favourite activity for recharging yourself?
I’m a true introvert and recharge by having time alone – reading, jigsaw puzzles, walking outside, even cooking and baking.
7) What is something you have always wanted to do, but haven’t yet done?
Gone up in a hot air balloon!
8) What is your favourite television show and why?
I’m currently sucked into House of Cards – what’s not to love about Kevin Spacey?
9) Where do you see yourself in five years?
Whew. This is a biggie. Probably in the same physical location, but maybe in a different mental place?
10) What is an interesting talent that you have?
I was a competitive Irish step dancer. Could dance a jig around anyone back in the day. 🙂
11) What is your dream job?
That’s another tough one. I’d like to do something that challenges me intellectually but with the goal of helping people. I want to feel like someone has benefited from my work, whatever it may be.
Thanks for reading!